Sunday, September 17, 2006

At The Movies

I was dreaming about the movies today. The role they play in our lives. How we are drawn in. Why certain stories resonate. And I wanted to be that someone on screen. Finding resolution the way most characters do. To project that feeling you get from a good one - the wishes of never fading to black.

3 comments:

  1. What's interesting is I never think about the lives movie characters lead, I just think about their bodies: am I that good looking?; would a girl that hot ever date me?

    It's a sickness.

    Except for when I watch movies about people going crazy, like I Heart Huckabees -- then I think about their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous18/9/06 19:58

    And do the characters in the movies go groceryshopping when we aren't looking. I always pictured major motion pictures to be the one time these few people have clarity. Before we showed up, and maybe after, they are just as muddled and mundane as the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That movie was awful. It should have been called I Hate Huckabees! Stupid existentialists. Now you take a movie like "Dodgeball." That's what we call cerebral candy.

    Characters in movies don't have real kitchens, so why grocery shop? They also don't have to clean toilets or change their underwear. All the mundane gets edited out. They just move from scene to scene with one purpose, escape the rolling credits.

    Are we so muddled? I wonder as I sip my chardonnay.

    ReplyDelete