Sunday, January 21, 2007
Never Go Back?
A friend of mine told me recently that you can never go back. I thought about all the possibilities or the missing ones since you are, in a way, limiting yourself. Basically, I’m trying to understand what never going back or not really means. What the connotations are. Backwards bound seems always to fall in the negative and here I’ve done it 100 times. I told my friend that change, growth, and maturity makes revisiting what’s back there a completely different experience. But still, I had a hard time pleading my case. Maybe I was unsure it could be a good experience. I know I’ve changed, grown, matured, actively. Of course, when those changes are physical, I’m actively trying to halt the process, thank you very much strand-of-gray-hair. Anyway, I want to change (for the better presumably). Others do, too. So not everyone gets stuck and the journey can be positively grand. I guess my friend's point, because the comment was really about something specific, was to move forward and recognize that if the past doesn’t work, you can’t go back and even if it did work, you can’t go back... unless... What I say now is I go back because it IS there sometimes. I see it there waiting to be plucked and prodded. Waiting to be written about and painted. Waiting to be serenaded. To be loved. And sometimes it just fades like Hiroshima.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
my turn...
ReplyDeletethere is no "backwards bound" so your friend is dead wrong.
I agree with you. We are ever driving forward, collecting experiences and memories, stowing them away, and acting on the amassed wisdom - wary, excited, or in between.
And as I age, and collect grays all my own (and in my beard too!), I'm realizing there are no mistakes, just, perhaps, detours.
you can go always go back.. but it just won't be the same.
ReplyDeleteAmber, if there was a better way to thank you I would. When are you Emerald, I wonder?
ReplyDeleteMaritza, luckily, same is not what I'm looking for :)
It should always be emerald because hops are green. But I like the way "amber waves of hops" sounds because of the song You know, like amber waves of graaaaaaain. So it's emerald, unless I forget. And write amber. Then it's an amber alert.
ReplyDeletewell, I like surprises, so... amber it is, for tonight.
ReplyDeleteI think it should be clarified that you can't relive the past you can definitely revisit. If you friend is talking about reliving the past then he's on point. If he's talking about revisiting the past then he just bombarded with all kinds of inaccuracy. Just remember when revisiting the past you must not stay there long or you could become lost. Look at the past and orient yourself towards the future.
ReplyDelete