I use this giant coffee cup for my fishies whenever it's time to change the water. Since Miles is all I have, I poured him with all his baggage of bacteria into the cup. Octavio always felt secure. He was a fairly mellow beta. Miles is a different breed though. Young & hearty. A real warrior. I scrubbed the rocks and the walls of the bowl. Then I filled it with newly conditioned water. I left the kitchen for a few minutes, I swear. When I came back, Miles was lying on the floor gasping. He jumped! I'm telling you I haven't trembled this much since my stint in Austria. I scooped him up with a spoon and dumped everything into the bowl. Now, of course, he's in shock, but alive.
In other fish news - Not having cable is fine, but when I happen to catch a commercial on real television of a must-see program, it sucks. And, no one videotapes anymore for my viewing pleasure at home, so my sister agreed to DVR (that means digitally record for all you non-techies) 2 on Discovery. "Ocean of Fear" about how some of the U.S.S. Indianopolis crew survived shark infested waters and "Perfect Predators" about sharks' 400 million years of evolution. It's shark week folks. Psyched.
I think I have a phoebia of the ocean. More like being stranded in it. Left behind. I almost drowned once when I was a kid, but I'm not sure that's the reason.
Miles isn't moving much yet :(
The USS Indianapolis story is the one that guy Quint tells in Jaws, you know where they are all sitting around the table comparing scars and scary sea stories...
ReplyDeletecool!
go Miles. Thinks he's a flying fish, maybe.
the real Quint
ReplyDeleteIt's pretty common for betas to jump like that. It's a good thing you found him in time...hopefully he's learned his lesson.
ReplyDelete-Char
Yes, I knew this, but the cup was no where near the edge of my counter and the water was pretty low. He may very well be a flying fish reincarnated as a betta! :)
ReplyDelete