Thursday, March 16, 2006
A Model Confession
While I'm engrossed in the silly catfights and self-important tirades of a Misssszz Tyra wanna-be-Oprah Banks on a certain model "reality" show, a lot of awkward insecurities settle in between commercials. Why couldn't I have luscious lips or dreamy blue eyes? Why couldn't I have naturally tanned, flawless skin or striking cheekbones? Why couldn't I have long, lean legs or flowing, fluid locks? Why can't I get paid to travel, pose, wear fabulous clothes that cost more than my car, drink, chain smoke, date rockers & actors, totally drop my last name, quit eating, get caught snorting coke & still have a career?! Maybe it sounds glamorous, but beautiful? I wonder why those silly thoughts ever enter any woman's mind. There has to be more to "the struggle" than aesthetics. Not that it's impossible for model-wannabees to worry about deeper issues. I also don't want to imply that I don't care about looking my best every damn day. But, these girls are so lost in ego, airtime, fame. They think little of anything else... or so it seems and this attitude extends outside of the fashion industry. There is a Look-at-ME generation brewing. After an episode, I usually come to the same conclusion. I got other sh*t to worry about on "the inside." Now that's a tricky business because there's a lot of work to be done there. It's a different kind of "beautiful" I'm aiming for, I suppose. One that will hopefully matter long after that show is cancelled.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well as for the girls on the show, it takes a certain breed to go on this type of show so it should come as no surprise that this is how they think. Each girl has an agenda but so do the producers and editors of the show. But in general I think the problem is that people have a hard time accepting themselves. Everyone has faults (physically and/or emotionally, etc.). I think the trick is to be aware of your own and to find the thin line between accepting yourself with them while at the same time not falling into the "this is me, accept it or not" attitude where people think its ok to be an asshole all the time. Anyway, just a thought. :)
ReplyDeleteditto what Donna said. :) And I hope that you succeed in finding and accepting the beauty in yourself... there is a lot there, you just need a new pair of glasses. :)
ReplyDelete...and perhaps "beauty" needs to be redefined within our society. I'm sure that would mean no more "America's Next Top Model," but I'm willing to give it up for the greater cause :)
ReplyDeleteThanks guys for the great comments!
Interesting comment blue violet.
ReplyDeleteBut how would you redefine "beauty"?
I'm not disagreeing with you, but our eyes are dominant over our ears, so how do you suppose we change this?