Sunday, October 15, 2006

Boy Dilemma

On Friday night, I stopped by a bar in Long Island where my friend's band was playing. I wasn't feeling particularly great about being in public just because I was tired and thought it was noticeable. Who wants to socialize with some tired girl? Once I found my friends in the audience, I woke up a bit. In fact, I actually had a Bass and a Lemon Drop, wo! We watched the Mets get slaughtered on tv, chatted, listened as singer/songwriter, Glenn Geiger and crew, rocked the melodies. Anyway, it was almost time for me to leave when some dudes walked in the bar and came straight toward our group. One of them immediately started asking me questions. What's your name? Do you live around here? Would you like a drink? It was all very smooth and I just smiled demurely. There might of been a little eyelash batting action, but it certainly wasn't a typical reaction from me when approached. Then he asked for my number. I avoided the question. Once I realized that was just silly I said, "I'm much older than you." He's 23, by the way. "No you're not" and "Age is just a state of mind" were his responses. So I said, "Listen, I'm 35." Not even a flinch. He countered that with a, " my last girlfriend was 37." Now, the boy lives out east, works as an electrician, talked like a player, most likely is a player, but the fact that he was unphased, um and easy on the eyes, was refreshing. He asked for my number again. I said, "How about you give me yours?" After some more attempts, he finally caved. He wrote down his number on a napkin and made me promise to call. I did and even said I was too old not to keep my word. Yikes, dumb move. Now it's Sunday. I'm still tired. I have the wrinkled napkin resting on my coffee table. What to do, what to do. Mind you, I have no interest in dating a 23 year old, but I promised one phone call and can't stand when boys flake on girls. It's just so immature. So I ask you, my blogger friends, do I call or just let it lie?

11 comments:

  1. Seems like you answered your own question:

    "but I promised one phone call and can't stand when boys flake on girls. It's just so immature."

    ReplyDelete
  2. your first mistake was to say you would call.. so since you don't like when boys flake, then I guess you should call... but really I just wouldn't. there is no point. I mean, he's 23. It will go nowhere. and even if it did, the age gap would eventually become a problem for one of you. even if the call was just for some fun.. I still say not to bother. I don't think it would be worth the trouble in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should only call if you think that there is some chance that you might have fun hanging out with this person. Just to call because you said you would and then reiterate that he's too young for you is a waste of time, the conversation will revolve around how you think he's too young for you and how he think's its fine. But if you want to get out there and maybe just for one date check him out I say why not? You never know, you may have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anonymi (?). This isn't really about hooking up (which I'm sure you know). It's about doing what's right - or not. Yes, it's a waste of time, so part of me is like fuhgetuhbodit. The other part is like, I said I would, so I will and I do rather enjoy good karma. Oh, who knows...aren't boys always a waste of time? (kidding, but not really - "Dodgeball"). Anyway, your feedback helped.

    To Anonymous #2 - I promised to call because he wouldn't leave & kept flirting until I agreed to something.

    p.s. Leave your names. Fake ones if need be :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the right thing is to call. A person is only as good as their word. If you had no interest, which I'm sure you don't, then a phone call will only emphasize your sincere demeanor in the fact that you keep your word. He may be hurt by rejection, but he will honor your intregity. We all know nothing will come of this, but to call him to say what's up and how was your weekend is just showing that your mature and are true to your word. That's all, there's no need for him read into it, or for you to prolong his interest. Call him, if anything, just to let him know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You already called right? But now he hasn't called back. Maybe he's worried that you're gonna want to get serious straight away or something, I dunno.

    If you want to have fun and think you can have fun then forgive his slackness and give him a call. If you aren't actually interested then don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, so call him back and tell him that you are not interested and that you made a mistake in telling him that you would call. that way you leave your karma in tact.

    and who is Bradleys... did he even read it. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys. Um, I called. Stay tuned for the next post....

    ReplyDelete
  9. and who is Bradleys... did he even read it. :))

    Who is Bradleys maritza?? Did you even read my name 80)

    Sorry, was confused by a slightly ambiguous sentence as to whether she had called or not. I'll try harder next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No worries Bradfield. Thanks for the comment. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bradfields... ha.. you got me there. Sorry. :))

    ReplyDelete