Tuesday, February 19, 2008

P

I just ran into an old friend. He was the smartest, funniest, most intellectual (without being pretentious) best friend I've ever had. A professor, a teacher, a student, an artist. I wanted to BE him. He never told me why he stopped taking my calls or answering my emails, so when I saw him tonight, a year later, I sank into the bottom of a 2005 Chateau Latif. The bottle 6 of us "old friends" opened to celebrate a reunion of sorts. No one else had any knowledge of our affair. Not a love affair, but this deeper connection. And like those "affairs," it had been starting to show its age. The pressure from years of secret meetings only to discuss paintings, immigrant parents, the best light for taking photographs, & of course, love that (for me) remained elusive. I saw him moments ago and did something unlike me. I crossed the miles between us and asked why. Stupid move, I know. The answer, I also knew. We were hurting each other. I chose to forgive. He chose to forget. We, it turns out, were, are very different.

5 comments:

  1. Muah.

    It was soooo good to see you the other night, mamacita.

    I kiss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were here. I can't seem to stop crying. Gosh I had forgotten what this was like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then there are friends that won't give up on you. Ones who call when it's totally unlike them to be up at this G*dforsaken hour. I love you, C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe he's not as wonderful as you think. I mean what kinda friend does that. and he's most definitely not worth your tears

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sun-Eyed, since we spoke I wanted to clear something up (mostly to myself). P was a best friend, who occupies a place in my heart as do my other best friends (you included, of course). People laugh when I say I'm lucky to have more than one and think it's this very group that have become soulmates. Each forcing me to see in ways I might not have on my own. P did this once. Even now, he makes me see what I don't want to do to any one of my present & future soulmates, best friends, whatever - to disappear without a word for this long.

    Secretly, I agree with what you think the P (chuckle) stands for. You are a relief.

    ReplyDelete