Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Pocket Watch -

Since I was a little girl, I’ve wanted one. I thought enclosing a watch into a little round metal compartment meant controlling time. The idea that time could be kept hidden appealed to me. That it was tangible and vulnerable. That maybe it could be stopped! There was also all this history, or so I imagined. Like maybe a pocket watch belonged to someone very special, someone from centuries ago. I figured the mechanical ones (of course) would never tick endlessly and haunt me when I was typing, rubbing my chin, riding a bike, painting my nails, or any other ordinary activity that might become a reminder of time running out. It would simply sit in my pocket until I was ready. Time waiting on me for a change. Clearly, I didn’t know what pocket watches really were… that they were even more magical.

My father’s side of the family is planning this huge surprise party for my grandfather. He will be 80. Someone in our pretend 10-person committee (only 5 of us are doing all the work) suggested the gift be a wrist watch. I pulled the “head of the committee,” my uncle Nacho, to one side and made my case for the pocket watch. Majority has ruled for it. Finally, I’ll get to see an heirloom in the making for someone who’s been around a long, long time. Ah, yes, someone very special.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous13/7/06 00:07

    Cool. I would like a pocket watch as well lol They got some much history associated with it. And magic.

    Just checking by.

    -Julia
    My Blog: Aesthetic Vibrations

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank goodness we went with the pocket watch... it's going to be perfect! he will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the pocket watch. It's magical... at least I hope he thinks so... I hope you're right :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, happy bday to your grandfather!

    ReplyDelete