Sunday, July 23, 2006
Review: Fiona & Damien
Last night I went to go see two very different performances. First, Damien Rice. A straightforward, honest, bare-your-soul type of show. There was a lot of electricity, so he rocked out, sang a lullaby, then rocked out again. An amazing guest vocalist, Lisa, who gave Fiona a run for her money in the sultry & deep tones department, a cellist, a kick ass drummer, and the bassist stood on stage. No backdrop, no cool effects, no sharp threads. I was smitten. Then came my dear Fiona. She's so lost. I kept waiting for paramedics to take her away in a straight-jacket. Then I thought a group of priests would storm in from the Vatican to perform a very special exorcism. She was breathtaking at times. There were moments of pure brilliance. But something happened once she crossed that very strange line. It got awkward. The edge of insanity is usually occupied by geniuses like Bjork or Iggy Pop, but a Ms. Apple? Hmmm... All in all I had a great time. I still love her, found a new love in Damien, and became inspired. That's a damn fine time if I do say so myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
u guys suck... i wanted to see this but found out too late..
ReplyDeleteit better not be an act... but a small part of me thinks a bit of it, is. oh well. she is still an amazinf talent and I hope she realizes she doesn't have to act "cooky" for people to like her music. or whatever.
ReplyDeleteI think she's trying to be a "bad, bad girl" (bad joke). :)
ReplyDelete