Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Freudiant Thoughts

I've been thinking a lot about Freud and his theories on melancholia versus mourning. In particular, this idea that when one experiences loss, you must detach from the love-object and find a substitute. There are other processes that happen first, but ultimately, the idea is to avoid a serious spiraling into the melancholia, which I suppose is very difficult to climb out of, but remains elusive even to Freud. I was wondering if I, and others, too, have in fact been successful at finding substitutes or if we have simply learned to live with this new strain of sad. Functioning, some of us, in society like sleepwalkers and everything is part of breathing.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/9/07 22:47

    Would Freud say this is why women turn to ice cream in times of sadness? I go for hookers and drug smuggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mondoooo, I miss our "talks." :)

    I think Freud gave up trying to figure us girls out, which is why he'd probably go for the hookers & drugs. I might join you boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I scream
    You scream
    We all scream for...yogurt
    Oh, and Freud can blow me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Down, feminista, down. Freud just had mommy issues.

    I scream for my milkshake 'cause it "brings all the boys to the yard..." :)

    ReplyDelete