Sunday, February 18, 2007

After Hours

I’ve been losing countless hours of sleep for as long as I can remember. As far back as age 6, staying over mamita's wondering when my parents would come for me. Vacationing in Medellin at 14 and realizing I wasn’t from there anymore. Losing it at 18 by drawing and painting all night, so I wouldn’t forget. At 20, finding a friend for life in my sister... when the nights were too long. In my mid twenties, it was tossing and turning over the in-love not being enough. Sometime during that time, discovering music and dance could be. Turning 30, in familiar territory, remembering what great risks can do. Then taking one anyway and staying awake until he was gone again. Buying something big at age 32, so my sleepless nights were filled with compressing the remembered into suitcases and cardboard boxes. Now here I am at 35. Awake and counting.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous23/2/07 13:04

    After hours we write the saddest lines,
    Those days awake are all but dark now,
    The night walks in and welcomes all my dreams.

    After hours I write the saddest lines, what was I then, was it always too late.
    My tired eyes rest on all tomorrows,
    But not time to sleep from the pain of all my sorrows.

    After hours we lie awake remembering you and me and all our laughter.
    Today I read and walk into your night.
    Today I look for you in through the dark,
    But nothing there but all the after hours of all our yesterdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi anonymous, welcome. nice to know i'm not the only restless one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, we've been friends for a long time. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous28/2/07 14:35

    ...yes we have been friends for a long time in fact even after all the hours have passed. Much Love for you both i have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4/4/07 04:34

    If I could add all of the late hours I spent alone pondering a whole bunch of shit that only made me lose even more sleep or feel like shit the next day...I would be bigger and badder then Donald Trump with better hair!!! Can we ever win!!?? Can we ever get to that place of bliss? I do find some form of bliss during the after hours but it's only when I have peace during the light. Love ya girlie....xoxo

    ReplyDelete