Tonight I went to the Waltz-Astoria, a place I highly recommend. I expected to go alone and sing with a piano player I never met before. He is the organizer of their jazz night and well, I was taking my first jazz risk. It wasn't wonderful because there was no control. I was being swept back and forth by the keys and it was difficult to find my rhythm. I sang "Willow Weep for Me" and "Like Someone in Love." It was all very apropos considering... I took even more risks by taking a drag off of a cigarette, pretending it was heroine in a Harlem dive maybe, and drinking 2 glasses of wine like an old pro. A friend of mine came along. Unexpected. I was kind of giddy, which was really an attempt to mask my nerves from being with someone or just being. After confusing the word "misogynistic" for "massaging his d*ck" (I swear I thought that's what my friend said in conversation), I realized it was time to go home.
I'm home.
awe man, I would love to have seen that.
ReplyDeleteI was at Waltz Astoria and I thought you sounded great.
ReplyDeleteAs for the mix up in the conversaton ..not sure I can comment...But it was nice to see & hear you there....hope you come back , I kind of like this
Monday Jazz, thing..
Jazz is alright, but do you know any sea chanteys?
ReplyDeleteI'd love to come see/hear you sing.
thanks, love (m).
ReplyDeletefunny, I didn't see you there "anonymous."
I will learn a sea chantey, if I can be the shantyman.
So Mr. Hops, am I correct in thinking we've met? Either way, you are welcome to see/hear me.
you may have seen my mug around once or twice.
ReplyDeleteand thanks for the welcome. i look forward to it.
What a perfectly appropriate mix-up. :)
ReplyDeleteBut the real question is....how did you pass up that amazing hot chocolate?
Mr. Hops, yes, I have.
ReplyDeleteA long trip for you, but I'll be in Astoria again tomorrow.
C, I could do with some hot chocolate. Maybe this Monday then.